Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Need advice on retaining/garden wall (maybe OT)

Eigenvector wrote:
I need some advice on how to complete a garden wall/retaining wall.

I have the blocks currently stacked up until they are about 2, maybe 3
inches below the level of the turf at the top of the wall. If I add another
layer to the wall the blocks will be about 5 inches above the turf. My
question is what would be better, adding another layer and having the wall
terminate above the turf, or letting the wall end 3 inches below the turf?

Providing you can still mow along top of the wall, and not fall off
riding mower, etc., just let the sod be a little higher than the wall.
You can pull back sod along the wall, dig out a little soil, lay the sod
back down - that will slope the sod to the level of the wall and look
nicer. If you just cut it off, it will probably level itself over time.
You probably won't harm the sod, and will probably keep soil from
washing down the face of your wall. If you move the sod, just water a
little more often for a week or two.