Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Toomb Jim Toomb is offline

Default OT- Oil futures- was Why General Motors is doomed

"Teamcasa" wrote in message
Teamcasa said:
You and Ed Begley can drive your EV1's and Prius's all you want, your
free to protest the nuclear plants, (that really helped BTW) and tear
down
the hydroplants. Oil is here, will stay a major source of power for
several
more generations. If the green people had a lick of sense, they would be
devoting their resources into ways to generate electricity (massive
amounts)
without using fossil fuels. They would buy products made locally, not
from
places that have to ship them across the ocean in fuel guzzling ships.
They
would only use natural fibers (cotton - animal fur) not synthetic ones
made
from petroleum.

The hypocrisy and self aggrandizement is amazing.

Michael Daly said:
You seem to think that waste=freedom. Well, waste=waste and with the US
using
far more energy than it can produce domestically, freedom is threatened by
being
dependent on foreign resources. How many of your children are you
prepared to
send to die in foreign wars to maintain a wasteful lifestyle?

Something to ponder: Let's use up all of the Middle East oil first. Like
Bahrain has. They now have nothing to sell. They, like Bahrain will have
to become an importer of goods. Their closed society will have to become
part of the "Flat World" as Friedman pointed out. They will have to rely
on their people as a resource and again, like Bahrain, will have to
moderate to succeed.

Since Canada alone has by some estimates, 1.6 trillion barrels of oil
compared to Saudi Arabia's 250 billion barrels of reserves, I doubt the
next few dozen generations will have much to worry about. I do believe
that we should act responsibly, conserve and control emissions, not just
for our sake but for the sake of the planet. That means, we (as a
country) must stop buying products produced by countries that have no
pollution control over their manufacturing.

It would take a 1,000,000 conversions from my truck to Hybrid vehicles to
equal the pollution of a few days of China's steel production alone.
(No real facts to back that up - but if you Google it, you'll find them)

Lastly, If the past 100 years is any indication, our descendants will
create technologies that will render oil production to a trickle. Or they
will witness the earth's tipping point first hand.

Dave

Canada has 1.6 trillion barrels of oil ? Why have we not invaded Canada yet?