Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

Default DC motor question

In article ,
"Newshound" writes:
The variable speed controller on my Chester mini lathe has died, it's a 2A,
220 V DC brush motor and looks like a pulse width modulation controller.
Anyone know of either a circuit or a supplier of a board? I've found a
simple12/24 v circuit but I don't want to waste time redesigning if there's
a design out there, or a controller for £110 but could do with something
cheaper.

You can probably use a bog standard motor speed controller (of the
same type used for drills, etc) followed by a full wave rectifier.
Maplin probably do a suitable motor controller module (and rectifier).
If it's a universal motor (i.e. field windings rather than permanent
magnet), then it will run from AC too and you won't need the full
wave rectifier.

--
Andrew Gabriel