Posted to alt.home.repair
MarkyMark MarkyMark is offline

Default Window AC Unit Performance Declining - Tips?

All of this is good advice,if all else fails the unit probably has lost
it's charge of freon through a tiny hole in the unit.
Pop Wrote:
"TURTLE" wrote in message
...-

"Squanklin"
wrote in message
ups.com...-
I have a window AC unit in an upstairs bedroom that
is not putting out
as much cold air as it once did.

Normally the unit runs all day and night, set at a
specific temperature
(77 degrees, currently); and the compressor kicks in
as needed to
maintain that temp. Because the air flow seems a
bit lighter and not
as cool, I wonder if something might be wrong with
the unit, or if
perhaps it has 'frozen' and needs to thaw. It's
about three stories
up, so I can't get a good look at it from the
outside, but I see no
evidence of ice or dripping.

In case this is the problem, I have turned it off
for the day.

Anyone else have any tips?

Thanks!
-

This is Turtle.

edwin and other have stated evaperator coil dirty and
filter but when someone says they have a window unit
that just seem like it just don't do as good of a job
like it use to. a lot of the time it will be a
plugged up condenser coil on the back and plugged up
on the inside of the coil where you can't see it.

so here is a small check list to try to see about it.

Dirty condenser in back.
Dirty evaperaor coil in front.
dirty filter.
100% RH day and high Moisture content in your house.
unit low on freon.
Outdoor temps going over 100ºF+ which will slow some
brands of units down.
Compressor Going in-efficent or not pumping good
enough.

Most all window units still under warranty for low on
freon and in-efficent compressors for 5 years.

TURTLE
-
One more thing: IF there are oil cups on the fan
motors, is it oiled each season at least, more often if
used more than about 4 months/year? Drying bearings
will slow the fans and make them work harder.

He's right about the 5 year compressor warranties;
worth checking if all else fails.
Pop

--
MarkyMark