Koz

Default O.T. follow up on Mr. Gunner's comment

VERY true. There are those here who believe strongly that the ends DOES
justify the means. A good example of this is the current idolization of
Reagan, even speaking of putting his face on the dime. Yet that man
(yea, those under him) was willing to commit what is essentially a
illegal (I would say treasonous) act and circumvent the laws of the
United states to send weapons to the Contras.

The point of the "Touchy Feely" post I made earlier was that emotional
beliefs have more to do with these arguments/discussions than the facts.
Reagan was WRONG ( in my view because I do not believe the ends are
justified). However, there are many here who were probably thrilled at
the idea of him being on the dime. These views are not based on FACT,
but based on core beliefs.

The problem comes when we attack in the defense of our core beliefs when
challenged. One defense used commonly used here is selectively choosing
fact/evidence and using that to say that beliefs are not the root of our
choice, facts are. However, on most issues one can find factual
information on BOTH sides. Rather than attack someone who grabs "facts"
only to support their beliefs, discussions should relate to the roots of
those beliefs. What we would probably find is that the final answer is
"I don't know, I just believe", as the final answer for Christians is
regarding their belief.

Damn. I rambled again off topic and didn't actually say anything.

Koz

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Marv Soloff says...

Sure he was right. At that time, saying someone was a Communist or had
Communist leanings was like saying they were left-handed or that the
Pope was Catholic. McCarthy was an asshole, a scumbag, a (insert slur of
your choice here). He did much, much damage to this country and to many,
many innocent people. For what - two very low level fellow travelers?
Is this the model of a Right wing, Fellow Ammurican, Conservative hero?

What's next? "Heros of the KKK?" Sure, some of the folks
they lynched really *had* committed crimes.

Once somebody like McCarthy ****s all over the constitution
he's a traitor himself. For the record:

T H E E N D D O E S N ' T J U S T I F Y T H E M E A N S

Never has, never will. Doesn't matter how many commies he
smoked out, or how many kittens he rescued from the tree.

If Joe had used those same techniques to further a different
cause, he'd be a flat out villan in gunner's book.

Jim

please reply to: