Jim Wilson

Default O.T. follow up on Mr. Gunner's comment

Alan Moore wrote...
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:33:33 GMT, Jim Wilson
wrote:

I want to know why the framers considered the
freedom to bear arms a right of the people.

Because they didn't think they could afford an army, but didn't want
the nation left vulnerable to an invader.

Mmm, what is your basis for that explanation? I have never heard it
before and I don't understand it. Truthfully, it doesn't make sense to
me. If the framers wanted to avoid vulnerability to invasion, it would
have been far more prudent to *require* that the populace maintain arms.
But that is not what they did. They prohibited Congress from infringing
on the citizen's right to bear arms. That has a vastly different
character, does it not?

Jim