Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Beware of Yale Mortice Locks

In article , Christian
McArdle writes
My local Locksmith CH Wood (Security) Bradford limited 221 Wakefield Road
Bradford ... sells me Chubbs. They are so good that all *three* have
outlasted the doors they were fitted on, I recovered them and now they sit

The problem is that the Chubb equivalent to the Yale PBS1 has some issues.
Firstly, it is much uglier, with a very angular appearance and a plastic
knob. Secondly, it is much harder for arthritic people to operate, as you
have a circular knob, rather than a lever. Thirdly, the anticarding
mechanism makes it very easy for the bolt to pop out when the door is open.
If the door is slammed in this condition (which is very easy to do), damage
could occur.

I've never understood why latches need to be surface mounted, dead ugly
and the surface mounting can't do the security any good. I recently broke
the mould by fitting a Union Mortice Escape Lock in place of a deadlocking
latch, it's a sashlock where the latch can be withdrawn by key via a euro
cylinder, leave off the handles & you have a deadlocking latch. Deadbolt
action on the normal rectangular bolt is via the euro cylinder too, inside
action is by a thumbturn on the cylinder. It's not BS approved but I reckon
more secure than a rimlock, BS cover is provided by a knee high deadbolt.
There's an Assa escape lock too that I think will do a better job, let me
know if anyone wants details.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla