Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Air conditioner: 13,200 btu not cooling 500 sq ft.

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:25:52 -0400, Ed Wicks
wrote:

In article , mm
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:24:51 -0400, Ed Wicks
wrote:

Unit was installed by guys generally handy but with no particular
knowledge of a/c installation. They did installation in exchange for
old a/c. I guess I should have paid Sears to do install; live and
learn.

I don't think it is their mistake but the mistake of whoever installed
the first AC. It was not the right place to put it. Your room has 4
windows so it must have a window or wall you can put the AC in.
(Unless all the windows look out on the garage. )

Three windows are in a wall facing the front yard. So I do not want to
put an a/c in a window or wall that would be visible from the front.
One wall faces the garage; one wall faces the house. On the other side
of the fourth wall are a bathroom & storage room, and the wall has a
large sliding glass window in it, though there are a few square feet
of paneled wall under the window in which a through-the-wall unit could
be placed, except that this area of the wall is only 24 inches high and
the a/c would have to go in that area. AC would be pretty close to
ground level. (Seems I may have read that an a/c should be at least 3
ft off the ground; I may have dreamed that.) A TV cable is right in

You didn't dream it. Cold air sinks so it's better if the AC is
pretty high. Some put them 6 feet high.

As to your question in the other post, I thought about that too, and I
think the other one didn't overheat because it wasn't as big as as the
new one. It still probably wasn't cooling as well as it could have
because it was in that tunnel. But I see from your description why it
was put there.

I don't have the answer to this, at all. But what if a divider was put
down the middle of the tunnel almost to the AC, and an exhaust fan
that would blow air down one half, so it would come out the other
half? (or out one half, air that would be supplied by the other
half.) Would channeling the air like that be better than just an
exhaust fan at the AC pointing out of the tunnel? I really can't even
guess.

the middle of the paneled wall area and would have to be moved.

Even if the installation to the garage were staightforward, in an open
wall with no closet, it would heat up the garage and lower the
efficiency of the AC. Even if one opened the garage door all the time
the AC was on, and that would help, well, there would never be a
breeze across the AC, but maybe it would still be acceptable. But in
practice, there will be times when one doesn't want the garage door
open and times when one forgets or someone is staying at the house who
doesn't know this rule, etc. AC's aren't meant to come out in the
garage.

Garage does not have a main door on it

How do you get the car out?

and has side openings/doors that
also provide some ventilation.
But I see that I should probably not have an a/c in this "tunnel" that
runs from the room to the garage.
At this point it looks like a split a/c system might be best, except
for the expense and the loss I would take on the 13,200 btu Kenmore
that I bought.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Ed