Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop Pop is offline

Default question on wells VS very long water line

Check on WHERE your responsibility for the pipes/pressure ends
for the city and starts for you. If it's at your meter/street
shutoff, near the house, it's the city's worry.

With a well, it'll be safe water or you wont' get a potability
certificate for it. A little taste you get used to. Also, the
cost/maintenance of a well might pay for a LOT of fixes to
city-connected piping; it's expensive to drill; how deep will
they need to go? You pay by the foot drilled as a rule.
Also check to see if you'll have apenalty for using city
sewers but not city water - inj some places it can make quite a
difference, so you might end up wanting a septic, too at another
5 to 10k.

Pop

"YYZedd" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hello all,

We are about to start building our house which sits about 1000'
from the road. We have city water available but are looking
into having a well. I am told that the iron content is high in
the area but folks on that street were on wells before the city
water came in about 7-10 years back.

We are considering a well since a water line from the street
back to the house will be very long, cross two creeks (one is
rather large) and be in heavily wooded area. The lot is 7 acres
and densely wooded except for what we have taken out for the
driveway and house. I forsee a lot of problems with 1000+ feet
of pipe near all the trees/roots.

Can high iron water be treated at the well/pump somehow to
correct this? What are the prolems with high iron content? Is
it unhealthy or foul tasting? We will be talking to folks in
the business very soon and will get their opinions but I
thought I would throw this question out to you guys.

Any input on the water line also appreciated.

Thanks!