Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Going crazy over asbestos

uz wrote:
We remodelled our bathroom and kitchen over a year ago and I found out
later that the floor contained asbestos which the contractor did not
take any precautions with while tearing it out. We were in the house
with our kids when this was done. When we found out later I panicked
(my husband didn't think there was anything the matter).

[snip]
I'm totally going crazy

UZ, you are obsessing, and that is not a healthy thing for you or for
your family. I have seen what you are doing in my own wife who freaks
seeing lead-based paint in every painted surface in the house.
Fortunately, I got lead paint test kits at my local hardware store and
gave her proof that she's obsessing over nothing.

First, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" to quote Alexander
Pope. Your fear is based on a lack of sufficient knowledge to
understand the risks of asbestos and what you need not worry about. You
need to do some research, and not here on the Intarwebs where every
crackpot, conspiracy theorist and charter member of the Tin Foil Hat
Society will tell you all kinds of idiocy. Go to your local lcollege or
medical school library and read up in the peer-reviewed journals about
the reseach into asbestos to understand risk levels and the like.

What you'll find is asbestos in the home is usually only a hazard in
concentration, and only in the friable (i.e., thin, wispy, fiberous)
form such as used in pipe insuation and ceiling tiles where it can get
airborne and be breathed into the lungs. The stuff used in floor tile
does not get airborne where it can be breathed in sufficient quantity
to cause health risks, unless someone was using a sander on the floor
to create a cloud of tile dust.

Third, you've had the house scrubbed from top to bottom, including
using a HEPA filter system. You got everything that's possible to get.
Unless you have a pile of asbestos fibers the size of a large cat
hiding under someone's bed, you're more than likely in a safe
environment.

But if you want to do something to abate your freak-out, it's
relatively easy to have your home tested by a reputable laboratory for
the presence of asbestos - call your local government's office of
health or safety or environment to find reputable laboratories in your
area. Do not call an asbestos abatement company as you are spinning the
wheel and taking a chance; you may get a reputable company, you may get
some fly-by-night guy who's just out to make money by finding asbestos
bugaboos in every corner.

You may have to spend some serious bucks to have a lab or engineering
company come out and draw samples (since you don't have a chunk of
anything in particular). The results take only a few days usually, and
maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to put your mind at ease and give
your husband and kids a break.