Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade Andy Wade is offline

Default Home Condition Reports abandoned

Doctor Drivel wrote:

There is. Certified Electricians who will test a house and give a
certificate saying it conforms to Part P. It is now big business.

Periodic Inspections are quite big business, yes (mainly in the
no-domestic sectors though), but they are checking for compliance with
BS 7671, not Part P. Part P itself only contains a vaguely worded
requirement for adequate provision to be made for electrical safety -
most of it's concerned with what is and isn't notifiable work.

[HCR]
It should include all services.

Perhaps, but the fact is that, as proposed, it didn't.

I knew a girl who bought a house thinking all the electrics were new. A
new CU and, socket and switches, The wiring was 55 years old and
falling apart. It is cons like this that these reports should bring to
the surface.

Part P now makes doing that sort of thing illegal (at least in
principle). I remain unconvinced that the HCR, as currently conceived,
would help in the slightest in "bringing it to the surface."

If a rewires is £3K, then a price can be negotiate on the
house price, but it must be done before occupation by the new owner.

No-one's going to disagree with that. It's down to the buyer's due
diligence in the end - caveat emptor and all that.

--
Andy