Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default Home Condition Reports abandoned

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Do you think a Part P inspector ...

No such person.

There is. Certified Electricians who will test a house and give a
certificate saying it conforms to Part P. It is now big business.

... pulls back on the rules because of the person paying?

Yes, actually - and very definitely.

I can't account for your cowboy dealings.

To my mind the whole HIP/HCR thing - which, as has already been said,
wasn't going to include testing gas or electrical installations in any
case - is fundamentally flawed. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

It should include all services.

You probably do. I suppose you think the same about MOT inspectors
too.

Your analogy with the MOT is quite invalid, IMO.

It isn't at all. A certified NCR inpector is the equiv to an MOT tester.

is just a report - you don't pass or fail it.

Parts may be failed like electricity and gas which should be included. But
any focus points should be brought up: old inefficient gas boiler, poor
shower performance, lead water mains, etc.

I knew a girl who bought a house thinking all the electrics were new. A new
CU and, socket and switches, The wiring was 55 years old and falling apart.
It is cons like this that these reports should bring to the surface. If a
rewires is £3K, then a price can be negotiate on the house price, but it
must be done before occupation by the new owner.

The NCR is in principle a good idea. Reviewing it is what is needed and
then implementing.