Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Which Yale lock?

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
I really can't be bothered to find my keys just to take the rubbish out

or
answer the door.

Funnily enough that's exactly the reason I go for a chubb mortice type

lock
rather than a yale type one.

Er, but you need a key to open a chubb mortice, whilst a yale can be
opened
without one. How do you find the opposite?

You don't need a key to open it if it isn't locked - like I said elsewhere,
a bolt/chain provides the security should you need it while you're in the
house.

OTOH if when I'm taking the rubbish out the door shuts behind me, I don't
need to have my keys with me to get it open again. I've always hated that
about yale type locks. Ok, you can put the latch/whatever on, but that's
just an extra layer of faff to forget about - and I will...

cheers,
clive