Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Grumps Grumps is offline

Default Sony TV, collapsed field

James Sweet wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Sony KVX2142, ae-1c chassis. Picture is severely squashed
vertically, with bright band in the centre. Preliminary
investigation suggests that the HT is ok (I get a picture), and the
horizontal drive is also ok. The 27V for the vertical deflection
circuitry sits as 12V; there must be some path from the 12V to the
27V. According to the circuits, the FBT generates the 27V supply via a
resistor (0R47), diode, and a elec cap. There would appear to be no
volts either end of the res. This would seem to indicate the FBT is
kapput, but only the secondary that is used for the 27V bit. Is this
possible/likely? Before I splash out £50+ for a replacement, I'm
wondering if I
could make a separate 27V supply.
Comments? Ta

Very unlikely to be a bad flyback, sounds like something is shorted in
the vertical deflection circuit and pulling the supply down.

Replaced 0R47 res after I decided to measure the voltage on the res
properly, doh!
TV now works :-)
I wonder why it broke. Could it be linked to our new policy of switching off
at the mains and not leaving it in standby?