SimonShabtai Evan

Default Bullets falling back to earth

No, I'm not mistaken about a "little slower". This is a relative term
with wide variation in value; in other words, I have not done the
calculations but the velocity will be slower.
If you real want the velocity of the bullet apply the following:

(1) v = v(0)+at
(2) x = x(0)+1/2(v(0)+v)t
(3) x = x(0)+v(0)t+ 1/2at^^2
(4) v^^2 = v(0)^^2 + 2a(x-x(0))

Also note that these calcuations (from Physics 101; Halliday and
Resnick/Wiley and Sons Inc) do not include atmospheric losses.

have fun.
S. Evan

JTMcC wrote:

"SimonShabtai Evan" wrote in message

This is basic physic 101. In a vacuum the bullet will return to the
firing point at the same velocity. In air a little slower but lethal
not the less.
S. Evan

We aren't living in a vacume around here. I believe you are misstaken when
you say a "little" slower.

JTMcC.

JTMcC wrote:

"Chris Oates" none wrote in message

"Dean" wrote in message

This is sort of metalwork - it involves lead. I was watching the

Iraqies

celebrating the capture of Saddam by firing their rifles and guns into

the

air. How dangerous are the bullets coming down ? I know they fall back

much

slower than they leave the gun barrel, but they must still be doing a

fair

clip. They said 4 people so far have been killed by this but I guess in

Iraq

its hard to know which bullets came from where. As a few of you know

about

guns I thought I'd ask here.

Yes, same velocity they went up with

That sure doesn't sound right to me. A bullet or any other object fired

into

the air, let's say straight up to keep it simple, will slow until it

finally

stops and begins to fall back to earth. I would think the effect of

gravity

and wind resistance would determine the maximun velocity of the falling
bullet (object), not the velocity at which it was fired upward with. The
same speed would be realized as if you had simply dropped the bullet
(object) at the same altitude from a hot air balloon. Feel free to

correct

me if I'm wrong.

JTMcC.

many cases on manslaughter have resulted
damage can be nasty as the bullet may have
aquired a spin or not be in line with the fall