Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16532 Ignoramus16532 is offline

Default Problems with air conditioners, etc

On 19 Jul 2006 20:45:56 -0700, wyredog wrote:
Okay...one more time: The professional DID a diagnosis, then gave me a
quote for a new compressor, dryer, and capacitor.

And one more time, WHAT DID HE SAY WHEN YOU ASKED HIM WHY HE THINKS
THAT STUFF NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.

I do not wish to pretend I know what a multi-meter would be telling me.

That's why it should be used to find out.

That is why I had a professional come here. He gave me what seemed
like a really high quote to replace a compressor, etc....($950 mostly
labor)....as I said.

Now I can just shell out lots of money for a new compressor which
doesn't make much sense to me because as I speak the compressor is
cooling my home...Or I can replace a $40 cap first because the prof.
who did the diagnosis said it would need to be replaced if he came to
do the work anyway. Good God what is so hard for "Ma sees me in my
PJ's" to understand about that!

Or you can systematically approach the issue, collect data and form
hypotheses, which you would then test.

He most likely made a living giving false info to people and ripping
them off becaseu all he seems capable of is redicule to anyone who trys
to tread on his "holy field of expertice"

Quite likely, yes, it is very difficult for honest people to stay
competitive in such businesses.

Capacitors are cheap, really likely worth less than the value of time
that you spent here discussing your question. But this intermittent
situation does not seem like a capacitor problem.

Did you open up your compressor cover, disconnect, etc, did you try
tracing where is electricity with your multimeter etc?

Do you have a schematic of your unit?

Get yourself a multimeter with a clamp ammeter. Try to be systematic,
I do not see evidence of a systematic thought process/investigation yet.

I see some traces of same mentality "let's start replacing stuff" that
we do not like about some paid "servicepersons". I think that your
advantage here could be having time, persistence and a systematic
approach. Try to use this advantage.

I think that the above is worth responding to.

Ignoramus16532 wrote:
On 19 Jul 2006 19:31:46 -0700, wyredog wrote:
" Professional " wanted to charge me $950 to replace the compressor
(which is under warrranty) and dryer and cap. Schwew...ran the same
stuff by antoher and got a 350 estimate...thought a cap and breaker
were good simple places to start

But what did the professional say, did he give you a coherent
explanation of what he thought was wrong? Did he explain what problems
cause what symptoms?

He may be right, maybe, or maybe he is not, it is good to know
details.