Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
wyredog wyredog is offline

Default Problems with air conditioners, etc

Actually he suggested I replace the cicuit breaker which I did.
Was professional and all...just his company quote book was really high.

He seemed to thing I would need a new compressor. Said I would also
need to replace the dryer and capasitor in order to not void the
warranty on the new compressor.

So I got to thinking...if I am going to pay for a new cap anyway and
the compressor seems to bee running fine just not starting all the time
well why not replace the cap myself and see if that works....Good Lord
I didn't expect the abuse from a few grumpy blokes here. But then I'm
new to the group...Hey thanks for your advice you were one of the few
who offered something useful.

Ignoramus16532 wrote:
On 19 Jul 2006 19:31:46 -0700, wyredog wrote:
" Professional " wanted to charge me $950 to replace the compressor
(which is under warrranty) and dryer and cap. Schwew...ran the same
stuff by antoher and got a 350 estimate...thought a cap and breaker
were good simple places to start

But what did the professional say, did he give you a coherent
explanation of what he thought was wrong? Did he explain what problems
cause what symptoms?

He may be right, maybe, or maybe he is not, it is good to know
details.