Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16532 Ignoramus16532 is offline

Default Problems with air conditioners, etc

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:30:30 -0400, Mo Hoaner wrote:

Why are you replacing a capacitor on your heat pump? As a preventative
maintenance measure? Or is the heat pump not working so you thought you'd
take a crap shoot (completely blindly) Start by replacing the thermostat, as
most problems are related to bad thermostats.

He said that his problem is related to a popping 220V breaker. Is a
popping breaker caused by a bad thermostat?

To answer your other question, yes, certain capacitors can retain a charge
that can easily be lethal, and/or remove parts of your body upon contact.
Sometimes getting close enough will do the trick.

As far as "What should I do/not do as I remove the capacitor" goes, the key
words are "do not". You do not know what you are doing. You do not know what
to do. And you do not know why you are doing what you are thinking about
doing.

But would he not be able to obtain good advice? That's why he is
posting here, to understand how to handle capacitors.

It does not take an Einstein to understand what a capacitor is and how
to discharge one that is going to be replaced. An ape can probably be
taught how to discharge capacitors.