Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Structural engineering question

I am confused (but that isn't hard)

If the load-bearing wall goes horizontally across your picture
(perpiducular to the joists), that would mean that there is nothing
under the wall supporting it, other than the joists.

Does that seem strange to anyone else?

What is over the kitchen?

Are you sure it is load-bearing?

fourempties wrote:
I need to support a post, that will in turn support one side of a
laminate beam that is going to take the place of a load bearing wall in
my kitchen. The framing in the floor that needs to support the post
looks like the following (sketch). The "O" is the bearing point needed
for my post and the horizontal lines are 2 steel I-beams in the floor
of the kitchen (which is above my garage). The vertical lines are the
wooden floor joists. My question is this; How can I install a steel
beam or wooden lam beam, or wooden I-beam between the 2 steel beams to
support the load coming down from the post? The span is 8'.