Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.metalworking
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default How to smooth a rough glass edges into a sparkling smooth surface.

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
. net...
"Moonraker" wrote
"FlameNwind" wrote

Excuse this newbie for poking her nose in (a pokey nose?), but after
reading this posting for a time, I was wondering if what you really

want isn't
acrylic? First, it is about half the weight of glass, which I suspect

would
be a consideration for a performer. Secondly, it would make the

safety
issue a lesser issue. And third, I understand that it is frequently

used in
magic props in place of glass, making the one you saw in Japan

possibly
acrylic. Oh, yeah..fourthly (?) it is used in aquariums

alot...specifically
because it can be made colorless (as opposed to thicker POG which

tends to
appear greenish) and the seams can be made to appear "invisible", both
through polishing and chemically. Hey, it looks like glass 'cuz it's

magic!
Just a thought.

Very interesting...and the edge of the plastic can be "flame polished".

Sound like a good idea but I have a few questions...

Any scratches or finger prints can foul the trick. Can that be practically

removed easily?

Will it work with the drop of liquid/oil/glue with the same index of

refraction as the glass?

Should I use Cerium Oxide for polishing acrylic?

When tapping the acrylic with a silver ring, will it sound like glass?

Thanks

Plastic will scratch.

Dunno about the oil for the refraction.

No. don't try cerium on plastic. Plastic edges are flame polished.

It won't sound like glass....

I repeat....go to a commercial glass shop and have them make this. You
might have them make some polished chamfer edge bevels and "flip" one so
the two chamfers were the mating faces? Might be less apt to chip and have
sharp edges. Blood is a dead giveaway that you were tricking somebody....