Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.metalworking
Sam Nickaby Sam Nickaby is offline

Default How to smooth a rough glass edges into a sparkling smooth surface.

"Moonraker" wrote
"FlameNwind" wrote

Excuse this newbie for poking her nose in (a pokey nose?), but after
reading this posting for a time, I was wondering if what you really want isn't
acrylic? First, it is about half the weight of glass, which I suspect would
be a consideration for a performer. Secondly, it would make the safety
issue a lesser issue. And third, I understand that it is frequently used in
magic props in place of glass, making the one you saw in Japan possibly
acrylic. Oh, yeah..fourthly (?) it is used in aquariums alot...specifically
because it can be made colorless (as opposed to thicker POG which tends to
appear greenish) and the seams can be made to appear "invisible", both
through polishing and chemically. Hey, it looks like glass 'cuz it's magic!
Just a thought.

Very interesting...and the edge of the plastic can be "flame polished".

Sound like a good idea but I have a few questions...

Any scratches or finger prints can foul the trick. Can that be practically removed easily?

Will it work with the drop of liquid/oil/glue with the same index of refraction as the glass?

Should I use Cerium Oxide for polishing acrylic?

When tapping the acrylic with a silver ring, will it sound like glass?

Thanks