Roy J

Default Building Shelves, Load rating for wood 2X4(?)

snip

that is encouraging, and i understand about hand selecting, some-
thing i cannot imagine _not_ doing. the "whacking" test is new
to me, tho. it must thrill the "associates". i am not sure if
i am up to that, maybe just drop them?

Hold the 2x4 level at waist height, hold one end, drop the other.
Tell the 'associate' that you are a klutz.

The 'whacking' test is quite interesting. You can definately hear
the difference between a solid one and one with flaws. I did that
with a batch of used wood fence posts recently. The good ones
went 'bonk', the bad ones 'fuzzzzz', and the really bad ones just
snapped. I lost almost half the stack! But better that way then
digging more post holes. (at 20 minutes apiece in hardpan clay!)