Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner?

fnord wrote:
We've been through 4 or 5 vacuum cleaners over the last 6 years.
Hoovers, Kenmoores, some other brands as well, with no luck. They last
6 months to a year, and then just crap out. We take them in for
repairs, and they come home still broken. I'm at the end of my rope.

Does anyone have experience with an upright vacuum cleaner that will
actually last 5 years or more?

thanks,
fnord

I think you need to review your vacuum cleaner use
rather than looking at vacuums. How often and for
how long a period do you use the vacuum and do you
use the correct settings for the floor? Is some
one using the vacuums on long extension cords or
great distance from the main with too small wiring?

I've never seen any vacuum that didn't last at
least 5 years and most seem to last 10,15, or 20
years. Even our first cheap role around is still
being used in my garage and to vacuum cars and it
is 30 years old. That said, our current Hoover
(was top of the line) is more than 5 years old and
ours works perfectly as well a friends down the
street and the MIL's (all the same model).