Posted to sci.engr.civil,sci.polymers,alt.building.construction,alt.building.engineering,alt.home.repair
slime slime is offline

Default PVC versus PE Piping

I'd go PE pipe. I found an article: Environmental Impacts of
Polyvinyl Chloride Building Materials by Dr Joe Thornton, PhD...PVC
manufacturing emits dioxin and other pollutants to the environment.
The paper states that dioxin levels in the world today are higher than
cancer causing, and that dioxin has been found in remote places like in
blue whales in the deep ocean and isolated islands. I was alarmed.

wrote:
I am designing a small water distribution system to supply potable
water to a couple of dozen buildings. I am trying to decide between PVC
and PE (Polyethylene) piping. Can anyone in this group comment on the
pros and cons of using either of these pipe materials for this
application?

Some more details on the application:
-The pipe will be almost entirely burried. Only risers coming out of
the ground to connect to building supply points will be exposed to UV
sunlight.
-The location is in a desert environment. Max ambient air temperature
of 50 C (122 F). Min ambient air temperature of 0 C (32 F). Most days
are sunny all day.

Any comments would be appreciated.

-Jonathan Klein