Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.metalworking
FlameNwind FlameNwind is offline

Default How to smooth a rough glass edges into a sparkling smooth surface.

Excuse this newbie for poking her nose in (a pokey nose?), but after reading
this posting for a time, I was wondering if what you really want isn't
acrylic? First, it is about half the weight of glass, which I suspect would
be a consideration for a performer. Secondly, it would make the safety
issue a lesser issue. And third, I understand that it is frequently used in
magic props in place of glass, making the one you saw in Japan possibly
acrylic. Oh, yeah..fourthly (?) it is used in aquariums alot...specifically
because it can be made colorless (as opposed to thicker POG which tends to
appear greenish) and the seams can be made to appear "invisible", both
through polishing and chemically. Hey, it looks like glass 'cuz it's magic!

Just a thought.

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
t...
"Moonraker" wrote

Lots of variables here.
How big are the pieces? How thick is the glass? Just POG (plain old
glass)? No patterns or textures? Clear in color?

Thanks for creative responses from the posters.
To get an idea, here's a miniature image I'd just
drew. http://religion.p5.org.uk/s/glasses.htm The real one will
be 2 x 1.5-feet total. I'll be using the thinnest POG for a table top.

This glass has to sit edge to edge in a vertical position and the top
piece
has to slide on the bottom pieces' top edge?
If you are talking about pieces of glass that is the size of your hand,
there are several people on this glass forum who do beveling and could do
it
for you. Any bigger, and I think you'd better be looking for someone
who
bevels mirrors or table tops.
It is possible to grind the edges of glass perfectly straight..well,
within
reasonable tolerances, (a few .001"), and to polish those edges as
smooth
as the face of the glass.

I didn't believe it was possible to polish the glass as smooth as the
surface
of the glass itself. If lapping by hand is difficult, what polishing tool
might work
on a milling machine head?

However, it seems to me that the edges would have to have some small
radius
to them, otherwise you'd be succeptible to chipping the edges and/or
cutting yourself. And that small radius might be visible, even if it
were
polished, too.

The sharp edges are an acceptable risk but the design will put safety into
account.

Any chance you could post a link to a photo of this prop?

I was in Japan and saw the amazing magic trick performed. I knew who
ever made this prop must have use a fairly expensive equipment to get the
glass polished so smooth. The good part was that the magic prop can be
operated safely.