Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Lost keys - need to change cylinder?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:33:33 UTC, Steve Firth
wrote:

Well, I've been able to open supposedly "card proof" Yale locks for years,
you need a (very) thin blade with a hard point rather than a card but it's
damned easy once you get the knack.

How do you defeat the additional lock that is engaged when the door is
closed. There is a plunger that is pressed in by the striker plate,
which locks the blot so that is cannot be moved.

Not that a professional thief would
bother, you can prise a Yale lock off from the outside easily by applying
pressure in the right place because the screw fixings are not adequate.

On the BS 3621 model, there are more, and larger, fixings.

If
that fails, then the casting used for the striking plate is pathetic and
tends to shatter with a damned hard bang.

Again, it's a different type of casting.

I'm not sure we're discussing the same thing.