Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Lost keys - need to change cylinder?

On 19 Jul 2006 12:09:38 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Explain, please. As it stands, that's a sweeping, unsubstantiated
statement. I'm not even sure you're talking about the same thing. But
I'd like to know.

Well, I've been able to open supposedly "card proof" Yale locks for years,
you need a (very) thin blade with a hard point rather than a card but it's
damned easy once you get the knack. Not that a professional thief would
bother, you can prise a Yale lock off from the outside easily by applying
pressure in the right place because the screw fixings are not adequate. If
that fails, then the casting used for the striking plate is pathetic and
tends to shatter with a damned hard bang.

I've had to make entrance to several places with Yale locks which have the
slider and roller to prevent carding. I've slid back the lock on three and
broken two with minimal damage to the door. Much depends on how well the
door fits to the frame and most doors schrink somewhat after a few years.

I'm not sure I could still do, I've had no need to practice recently, but
I'm sure that the modern yoof can better me time after time.