Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screw question - most flexible ?

In article ,
matt wrote:
What's the most flexible type of screw, ie one that won't break when
bent? Steel and brass doesn't seem that flexible.

Do you mean screw as in wood screw?

I have an application that needs a screw that won't sheer if bent more
than 20 degrees (the application is a bit complex to go into here!).

If you've got that much flexing, whatever the screw is fixed into won't
last long. I'd use high tensile nuts and bolts.

A thought - are there screws made from thick wire (5mm or so), as is
the case with wire nails? That would be ideal as wire nails are nice
and flexible.

I think that would cause problems in manufacture. So perhaps the easy way
would be to anneal a standard one. But then it might be difficult to screw
in without damage to it.

--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.