Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Screw question - most flexible ?

"matt" wrote in message
What's the most flexible type of screw, ie one that won't break when
bent? Steel and brass doesn't seem that flexible.

I have an application that needs a screw that won't sheer if bent more
than 20 degrees (the application is a bit complex to go into here!).

I would try nylon machine screws, with inserts for them to screw into, but I
wouldn't guarantee they would work.

A thought - are there screws made from thick wire (5mm or so), as is
the case with wire nails? That would be ideal as wire nails are nice
and flexible.

If you want to high-tech, get some precipitation hardening stainless steel
and make your own screws. That is the stuff that Army tank aerials are made
from and it has to be able to flex a lot without breaking.

Colin Bignell