Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default Air conditioner: 13,200 btu not cooling 500 sq ft.

Cut the hole in the wall and tell wife to *$#**.

But if you are whipped, try adding a table fan and point it at the
outside intake vents.

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:39:06 -0400, Ed Wicks
wrote:

Do not believe reinstalling is feasible. A/C now sits right by 230 volt
outlet, windows of room are sliding, and wife will not permit cutting
hole in wall. I am now thinking that I must trade my new 13,200 Kenmore
to the guys who installed it and get my old 9,000 Amana back. At this
point I would be happy to be as cool as I was before.

I am wondering why the 9,000 btu Amana worked fairly well. As I recall,
its compressor did not shut down. Perhaps because the smaller Amana did
not generate so much heat and there was a little more air around it? (A
couple of more inches on the sides.)

Also, I neglected to say that the Amana had a vent on the side.
so that hot air (I am guessing) could vent into yet another closet
(perpendicular to the first closet), in the door of which a hole into
the garage had been cut. Maybe this venting arrangement kept the a/c
from overheating.

Sears service person coming tomorrow, though I am now pessimistic that
the person can do anything.

All help appreciated. Thanks.
Ed

The hot spot is the key. Your condenser is the coil sitting outside
and it is not getting the air it needs so it is overheating and
shutting down the compressor.

Pretty simple fix really. It is meant to hang in a normal window or
thru a normal wall. So reinstall it so that the back part is
completely surrounded by lots of space. Several feet of air on all 4
sides, just like it would be if you were hanging it in a normal window
or wall. Every outside vent needs access to lots of air.

Sounds like you have not burnt it up yet, it just need reinstalling
correctly.