Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Who becomes responsible?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
Steve wrote:

very low signal, almost no signal, and traced it
back to the cable company's box down the street.
have to replace the underground cable from that box to my house.
They would have to cut thru a neighbor's lawn and my lawn

You have virtually NOTHING to worry about.

The digger is responsible for any damage they cause, whether it is to
YOUR property or that of others.

I suggest your advice may work where you live, but I suspect that there
are hundreds of variations on this subject depending on where you live.

The OP needs to check their local authorities or their own attorney for
accurate information. In reality they are likely to get a quick accurate
answer from the cable company.

In my area the primary utility lines run in easements that while owned
by me I have little control over. The utilities have the right to dug up
anything in their way any time they want. If that damages something I put
there, that is my tough luck and I might even end up paying them to remove
it.

I don't know what might happen with damage to my property outside the
easement. I suspect it will be my problem on my land, but the cable
company would need to get permission if they want to dig in a part of my
neighbor's yard outside their easement. You laws may be different.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph has presented a very accurate statement for most of the US where
subdivisions and deeds contain what is called an "easement of record". If
your sprinkler heads or lines are constructed in a recorded easement area
the person who placed them there is the one who did it wrong.

Most utility companies try to maintain good customer relations and may try
to avoid or even repair damages but they are not required to do so if the
damage occurs within the easement.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.