Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.metalworking
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default How to smooth a rough glass edges into a sparkling smooth surface.

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
t...
"Moonraker" wrote

Lots of variables here.
How big are the pieces? How thick is the glass? Just POG (plain old
glass)? No patterns or textures? Clear in color?

Thanks for creative responses from the posters.
To get an idea, here's a miniature image I'd just
drew. http://religion.p5.org.uk/s/glasses.htm The real one will
be 2 x 1.5-feet total. I'll be using the thinnest POG for a table top.

I didn't believe it was possible to polish the glass as smooth as the

surface
of the glass itself. If lapping by hand is difficult, what polishing tool

might work
on a milling machine head?

Not the right approach. Polishing glass is a 4-5 step process. You can't
do it with a milling machine. Glass has to be water cooled while polishing.
Find a commercial glazier that has a beveling/polishing machine. The kind
of place that makes glass table tops. They can edge polish the glass. You
can't polish glass by sliding it up against another piece of glass. The
final polishing step is a SLOW speed felt wheel and a slurry of Cerium
Oxide.