Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Adding shower circuit

On 19 Jul 2006 02:10:03 -0700 someone who may be "Martin Pentreath"
wrote this:-

My CU has no spare ways, but I'm putting in an electric shower.

To add to what has already been said. Do you see a need for any more
circuits than the shower one? If so then it may be worth getting a
consumer unit fitted that has a few spare ways. Getting something a
little larger and leaving part of it spare is more effective than
constantly adding small things. You would then wire the shower via
the RCD unit you already have.

If you are certain that all you want is a shower then you should be
able to find an enclosure that will take the RCD unit you already
have, along with a fuse or MCB to provide overcurrent protection.
You would then discard the enclosure you already have. However, I
would want to look at short circuit currents and a few other things
before connecting the unit in such an arrangement.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh