Artemia Salina

Default frame assembly of Gingery lathe

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:22:41 -0500, Allan Adler wrote:

I think the following conclusion is valid but it would be reassuring for
someone to confirm it: If you want to install a rivet, you take a small piece
of iron rod and hit it with a hammer until all the ends protruding from the
hole are too big to go through the hole. If you want it to be able to pivot,
make sure from time to time that you can still move it. If you want it to be
rigid, keep hitting it until it won't pivot anymore.

You're right, except that I would recommend drilling two (or more) holes adjacent
to each other in a joint and riveting them if you want the joint to be rigid. A
second or third rivet will positively prevent the pieces from pivoting.

And as I say, (red) hot rivets will form an even more rigid joint due to
contraction when cooled.

--
"There cannot possibly be a god in heaven watching all of this calmly."
-- Revi Shankar