Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Gary Heston Gary Heston is offline

Default Room Air Conditioner Odors

In article ,
Bill wrote:
Newer window air conditioners have a pool of water in the bottom which is
always there. The fan in the back splashes the water onto the coils and this
helps it cool more efficiently.

Every window A/C I've seen has done this; it's not just newer ones. In
fact, the newer (3-4 year old) units I have don't accmulate much water
on their own. I can add a quart, but it doesn't last more than a few
hours (then again, we're seeing 100F - 102F highs at the moment).

This standing water can get things growing
in it.

I can vouch for that, having found thick layers of mold growing in the
old A/Cs I replaced...

I just pour a little bleach in the side of the air conditioner
outside and this kills whatever is growing in the water.

Bleach is corrosive to aluminum. I've been advised to use hudrogen peroxide,
which seems to work without risking damage to the coils.

Then the fishy smell goes away. I only need to do this once or twice a year.

I've never noticed a fishy smell, just bits of black mold getting thrown
out of the vents. (The insides of both coils of one window unit got clogged
with it--badly.)

Gary

--
Gary Heston What do you call two SUVs colliding?
Poetic justice.