Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd and Margo Chester Todd and Margo Chester is offline

Default no mold Air Conditioner?

JimL wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:46:08 -0700, Todd and Margo Chester
wrote:

JimL wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:50:08 -0700, Todd and Margo Chester
wrote:

Hi All,

Is there a such thing as an Air Conditioner
that is designed NOT to get moldy. And to never
blow mold into the room? Or, to be easily serviceable
to clean out any build up?

-T
Well, you wouldn't want one if they did exist.

Killing all the mold would also kill all the other organic systems
such as humans and pets. Most likely the chemicals used would kill
by cancer over a period of time, so don't look for a quck and easy
death..

Take one step outside your back door. You have just exposed
yourself to millions of mold spores. The air is full of them. They
exist in the air as you drive to work. Are you wanting to kill all of
them too? Shame on you.

I don't believe in this voodoo crap, but I'll post it so that you can
spend your children's education on it:

http://www.moldinspector.com/uv_air_purifier.htm

Jim,

Please stay on topic.

I am not looking for an air purifier. I am looking for a
air conditioner unit that was designed not to get moldy
or is easy to clean out the mold. Designs vary. Some are
better than other. I want to know who the better ones are.

--Tony

Tony, the UV lights kill the mold and thus give you exactly what you
are looking for. They can be installed in the air ducts of any
system and the mold will be significantly controlled. Really!
Honest Injun!.

I am looking for a through the wall unit. No ducts, such as on
a forced air unit. It is the the exchanging assembly on the
house side that I am concerned about: it gets wet when the
warm room air contacts it and cools, then dust and other
organic pollutants (read duct mite poop) collect on it. Lets
see dark, wet, organic matter: sound like a ideal conditions for
mildew.

I am looking for something that does not get wet, or is easy to clean
out. Hmmm: I wonder what silver flashing the part that gets wet
would do.

-T