Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default extension ladder stabilizer U-bolts

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:01:45 -0500, dicko
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:16:36 -0400, mm
wrote:

extension ladder stabilizer U-bolts

I found among the junk I collect from various places an extension
ladder stabilizer, the wide U-shaped thing that makes the top of the
ladder wider, and spans windows.

But no hardware. Yesterday, I went to HDepot and Lowes** for square
U-bolts. Nothing square, nothing big enough. Do you know where I
can get any?? This is not such a big problem

snip
If I just buy U-bolts, I won't get the right-angle piece on each side,
which is there, I guess, to keep the thing from sliding down the
ladder, but maybe I could make them or twist the U-bolt 90 degrees and
get along without them.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks.

I ended up making them when I lost mine. I just bought a length of 3/8
(I think thats the diameter) inch threaded rod and bent it into a U
shape of the proper dimensions.

Only later did I find them in the U bolt section of Ace Hardware.
Bear in mind, this was many years ago (BBBE - Before Big Box Era) and
it was a really well equipped Ace store.

I'll bear that in mind. There are two (or is one gone) fairly big Ace
hardwares fairly near here (but not as close as the lowes and hd) and
I'll head out there as soon as it's not so hot.

I'm also going to go to the trailer place, and the auto parts stirem
that are even closer -- thanks, Big Al, and if that doesn't work, I
guess I'll make them as you both suggested.

Thanks you guys.

dickm