Allan Adler

Default frame assembly of Gingery lathe

Regarding rivets and their installation, Artemia Salina writes:

There a number of types of rivets and ways to install them. Basically though,
you would drill holes through the members to be riveted and insert the rivets
into the holes. Then the rivet is compressed or "peened over" in one way or
another, either by means of impact or through the use of a press. Hot rivets
are used in some cases because the rivet is easier to compress when heated to
a plastic state and because as the rivet cools it contracts, drawing the
joined pieces more tightly together.

I've made a little progress.

In the lathe book, Gingery mentions peening on page 70, which presumably means
using a ball peen hammer. In his book, Building a Gas Fired Crucible Furnace,
in connection with the frame for that device, he says (p.44) one can purchase
soft iron rivets in a hardware store or one can cut lengths of 1/4" iron rod
and use a one pound hammer to cold set them. On the same page, he says that
the pivots in the mechanism are made with these rivets. According to my
dictionary, which I've been consulting more frequently since reading Gingery's
books, the fact that is calls them pivots suggests that these are parts that
are intended not to be rigid.

I think the following conclusion is valid but it would be reassuring for
someone to confirm it: If you want to install a rivet, you take a small piece
of iron rod and hit it with a hammer until all the ends protruding from the
hole are too big to go through the hole. If you want it to be able to pivot,
make sure from time to time that you can still move it. If you want it to be
rigid, keep hitting it until it won't pivot anymore.

Regarding motors:

I think maybe there is some confusion with the term "frame" here. Electric
motors have frames which are integral to them. There are different standard
types.

Thanks for pointing out this possible source of confusion.

Regarding what information I need on motors:

I took a look at the site. It has a table of sizes that ought to be fairly
useful after I've read the book.

Specifically, what other information do you need?

Maybe I don't need it. I think it is probably easy to modify Gingery's
design to meet other specs. But I also like to do a lot of peripheral
reading when I have a concrete example to compare it to. I guess I'm
hoping to wind up with a good reference book so I don't have to pester
everyone so often with dumb questions and can be a little more independent.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *