Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner?

peter wrote:
"fnord" wrote in message
ps.com...
We've been through 4 or 5 vacuum cleaners over the last 6 years.
Hoovers, Kenmoores, some other brands as well, with no luck. They last
6 months to a year, and then just crap out. We take them in for
repairs, and they come home still broken. I'm at the end of my rope.

Does anyone have experience with an upright vacuum cleaner that will
actually last 5 years or more?

Try consumer reports. They rate this kind of stuff.
I have a canister type hoover vacuum for more than 10 years and it still
works. In my experience, vacuum cleaners don't break easily and if they do,
it is not hard to fix it yourself.

IMO Consumer Reports rates all the stuff that doesn't matter much (if
at all) and very little of what does...

For upright, I'll reiterate Kirby. As someone else noted, they're not
light and dainty but they last and are very effective, especially for
w/w carpet.