Posted to alt.home.repair
Darrell Dorsey Darrell Dorsey is offline

Default Bathroom tile repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm repairing loose tiles in a bath/shower and it's getting more
complicated than I had anticipated. The short wall on the opposite end
of the shower head appears to have the following layers:
tile-adhesive-drywall. I don't think there was a cement or green
board, hence the crumbling.

Green board will crumble just as easily once wet. I had a green board
shower, it was total mush.

Post your question here. But it could be likely that the drywall is wet
further up and it's just a matter of time before more of it lets go.

Darrell

Well, all of it is falling apart which has
so far exposed only a horizontal and vertical 2" wood strip. Not all of
the tiles need to be replaced so how do I patch this up? Do I have to
tear out to the studs to replace drywall then greenboard? That will
mean removing good tiles and did I mention that I'm not that handy?!
Help!!