Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Clearing rough ground

"tenplay" wrote in message
In my backyard, I have an area roughly 20X30 that is covered by some
blackberry vines, maple tree shoots, and gravel mixed in with the dirt.
What is best way to reclaim this area so that I can use it for a
garden or lawn? I have no idea how it got to be this way before we
moved onto the property. Thanks for any advice.

My recommendation would be to go in with a strong gardening pitchfork.
Use it to loosen the ground around the blackbeery and other shrubs.
Then pry with it under the root ball while someone else with a strong
back pulls the shrub out. Loosen a wide area around the shrub you are
working on so you get the most of the roots in one pull. Any that break
off and stay in the ground are likely to regrow. It's hard work, but you
will have a usable garden quicker than just mowing it down.

Bob