Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Bridgeport Mill Question

"Robert Then" wrote in message
I have just acquired a bridgeport mill. Is the quill supposed to retract
when the lever is released (like on a drill press) ?

Also what do people recommend for converting single phase power to 3

phase?

Thank you

Robert Then

No, the quill should stay where you stop it, although the weight of the
handle, which is easily relocated, may influence it slightly. You want as
much "feel" as possible in the quill of a "drop spindle" mill like a
Bridgeport, for you rely on your sense of touch to drill tiny holes without
breaking the drill.

Static phase converters work fairly well for fixed loads, but you give up
some horse power. That can be a serious issue if you use your mill to
capacity. You're going to hear from lots of guys that have rotary phase
converters in their shops, many of which can provide the necessary
information to build your own. I have three phase service so it's never
been a consideration for me.

Good luck with the new (to you) mill!

Harold