Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Lost keys - need to change cylinder?

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:49:40 UTC, wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

2) Modify old cylinder, at your leisure, and make a key for it. Not
hard, and a bit of fun DIY!

how do you rekey those yourself? drill out the metal plugs over the
pins, swap pins, then how do you replug them?

Braze (or glue) a piece of brass over the top. Not done one of those
myself, mind..think I first read it in Practical Mechanics.

I did sort of re-key a lock while at university. It was one of those
where the cylinder is in a rectangular block with rounded corners. That
was easy and just required dismantling.

Why did I re-key it? Well, I didn't exactly. I just rearranged the pins;
I swapped two of the pins with 'user' key cuts in the same place, but
'master' key cuts in different places. In other words, I de-mastered it.
It was because we had a sadistic cleaner who would burst in very early
and disrupt sleep or other activity.

Avenue Supplies,
http://avenuesupplies.co.uk