Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default Air conditioner: 13,200 btu not cooling 500 sq ft.

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:24:51 -0400, Ed Wicks
wrote:

In north FL, I have a room of 500 sq ft, blinds on 4 windows kept
closed, 8-ft ceiling. Thru-the-wall 9,000 btu a/c, 6 ft off the floor,
almost kept me cool in summer but never quite cool enough. I just got a
new 13,200 Kenmore. Cannot get room temp lower than 80 degrees. Even
with temp control set at its 60-degree minimum, compressor runs for a
while (maybe 15-30 minutes), then stops (perhaps this is normal; I am
a/c ignorant).

When compressor is on, air coming out of unit is 64 degrees. When
compressor is not running, air coming out of unit is 82 degrees.

On other side of wall in which a/c is installed is the garage. A/C goes
thru wall of room, then sits in sleeve which itself sits on ceiling of
a closet that opens into the garage. A/C tilted 1/4 inch so that water
(theoretically) drains toward hole that has been cut in bottom of
sleeve, then down thru tube, into bucket. After one day of a/c running,
no water has come thru hole/tube. Above closet door in garage is a 14"
x 28" screened opening. Back of a/c is about 25 inches from this
opening. I just checked temp at this screened opening with compressor
not running: 110 degrees. Temp in garage right now is 84 degrees. Side
of a/c so hot you can't touch it.

A black thing called a baffle was supposed to be installed somewhere on
back of a/c. It broke; was not installed.

Unit was installed by guys generally handy but with no particular
knowledge of a/c installation. They did installation in exchange for
old a/c. I guess I should have paid Sears to do install; live and
learn.

Will welcome suggestions as to how I can get this room cool enough for
comfort. Thanks for your patience in reading about this problem.
Ed

The hot spot is the key. Your condenser is the coil sitting outside
and it is not getting the air it needs so it is overheating and
shutting down the compressor.

Pretty simple fix really. It is meant to hang in a normal window or
thru a normal wall. So reinstall it so that the back part is
completely surrounded by lots of space. Several feet of air on all 4
sides, just like it would be if you were hanging it in a normal window
or wall. Every outside vent needs access to lots of air.

Sounds like you have not burnt it up yet, it just need reinstalling
correctly.