Posted to alt.home.repair
Ivan Vegvary Ivan Vegvary is offline

Default Foundation repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Need to replace some perimiter foundations in my home. Dug down to hard
pan, placed rebar into spread footing and spaced verticals so as to use
concrete block for the stem walls. Approx. 3-4 feet high.

QUESTION: Anybody have suggestions on how to finish off the top course
of
block? Do I pour concrete through a small gap (between the new block and
the old 2x6 plates)? Then do I shim with pressure treated wood, or form
the
last small gap and pour non-shrink grout?
I'm sure some of you have done this. Please advise as to what is
easiest.

BTW, my existing plates (double 2x6) are in excellent shape. No bolts
were
used so I would like to drill up into the plates and hang bolts before I
pour concrete. I also need to level out the house. It goes up and down
about 2 inches, which is why I am replacing the foundation in the first
place

All replies appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

I would think you would want to jack the house up in the area so the
sill plate is a bit above the expected final height, perhaps 1". Set the
anchor bolts in place through the holes in the sill suspended by the
nuts and washers accounting for the gap you will close up later. Pour
the cement / grout to finish off the top bond beam course and
appropriate finish height, presumably using a small form if needed. When
everything has cured properly lower the house and sill down to final
height and tighten the anchor bolts. Of course use all appropriate
precautions when jacking and cribbing, etc.

Pete C.

Thanks Pete!!
I do need to raise the house about 1 to 3 inches. So, yes, I will raise an
extra inch and pour some non-shrink grout.
We'll see if other solutions are forthcoming?
Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary