Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Lost keys - need to change cylinder?

"oh-news" wrote in message
My daughter lost a bag with keys and address information, so the question
is basically what should we do with the locks (Yale cylinders)? Changing
the cylinders is dead easy but could a locksmith modify the existing
cylinder and make new keys for it, or should I not bother and just get new
cylinders out of B&Q?

While a locksmith could modify the cylinders, it will probably take a day or
two, so what do you do about the doors while that is happening? OTOH, I
wouldn't buy cylinders from B&Q, unless they say how many pins the cylinder
has. Basic cylinders are five pin, but six pin is considered to be the
minimum needed to give good security and seven is even better, although more
expensive.

Colin Bignell