Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.metalworking
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default How to smooth a rough glass edges into a sparkling smooth surface.

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
. com...
Is it possible to cut glass so straight and flat that when you slide the

glass in
parallel that you cannot see the seems. I am building a magician's prop
and I need to cut glass so that when I slide them pass each other the
seems will fit so precisely that they can become invisible. The Japanese
have done it. Also, I've separated glass into two pieces and join
them temporary and the seems have disappeared. The trick now is to
be able to slide them in parallel without showing the seems. This means
that to two glass will have to extremely straight and smooth.

What kinds of tools can I use to lap the edge of the glass to get it so
smooth and flat that the surface of the edge of the glass is as smooth the
face of the glass itself?

Thanks

Lots of variables here.

How big are the pieces? How thick is the glass? Just POG (plain old
glass)? No patterns or textures? Clear in color?

This glass has to sit edge to edge in a vertical position and the top piece
has to slide on the bottom pieces' top edge?

If you are talking about pieces of glass that is the size of your hand,
there are several people on this glass forum who do beveling and could do it
for you. Any bigger, and I think you'd better be looking for someone who
bevels mirrors or table tops.

It is possible to grind the edges of glass perfectly straight..well, within
reasonable tolerances, (a few .001"), and to polish those edges as smooth
as the face of the glass.

However, it seems to me that the edges would have to have some small radius
to them, otherwise you'd be succeptible to chipping the edges and/or
cutting yourself. And that small radius might be visible, even if it were
polished, too.

Any chance you could post a link to a photo of this prop?