Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Robert Gammon Robert Gammon is offline

Default Central A/C - leave running or use set-back thermometer?

HeatMan wrote:
"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote:

Starting and stopping are not as efficient as running continuously.

While its true that starting a compressor takes more energy than running

it,

that surge of extra use only lasts for a second or two. Most residential
compressors are sized to meet the max load and it most definitely costs

more to

run them continuously than to run as required.

High efficiency ACs have two small compressors. They run only one unless

higher

cooling is required. This is the only time running continuously or near
continuously makes sense, but most people don't have these types of AC.

Do What? I've never seen a resi unit like that. I think Trane had one
once..

I THINK that he really means TWO speed compressors. Heat pumps have
this feature too.

The only two compressor things I am aware of are ultra high end
refrigerator/freezers. Viking and SubZero have a separate compressor
for Refrigeration and for Freezing