Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default shutters for house - what wood?

"Jim Stuyck" wrote in message

Two thoughts on the "what wood?" question:

A recent New Yankee Workshop project was "Plantation
Shutters." If I read the "blurb" on the NYW web site
correctly, Norm made his out of bass and poplar. I know
that poplar takes a coat of paint very well. If properly
primed and painted, they should last. No "grain" or knots
to speak of, either.

"Plantation Shutters" typically go on the _inside_ of the windows, and
they're almost always painted with an enamel, so poplar is almost a given in
this day and age.

I pretty sure the OP was asking about exterior shutters.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06