Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default natural light into landing - inspiration ?

sm_jamieson wrote:
I've had no bathroom wall for a while, and landing lovely and light.
Reinstating wall now. Old bathroom door had glass panel over, but
top-of-stairs area was still quite dark. I don't want sunpipes etc,
since in future I will convert loft with dormer, and this would be in
the way. I like the idea of a series of "windows" all along the top of
the bathroom wall (dodging the studs in the wall), maybe 200mm high.
But I can't think of how I could make it look good. I can only envisage
a long window looking like a trouphy cabinet, or taking glass blocks
with those thinbed mortar lines between.

Here's one example, in a stud wall:
http://img.photoamp.com/i/hxgTxuA8L.JPG
This gets light into the stairwell in fact, although there's another one
on the other side letting light into the internal bathroom. (Also, to
the right, a glass panel in the landing ceiling lets in the light which
you can see, from a Velux skylight in the pitched roof above).

David